My site now has categories and tags. This involved some new functions (because, once again, I am not thrilled at how WordPress decides to produce actual html in what I would just want to be some value outputs) and more styling. I also worked up my first amended version of the theme leaning more into material design and with a few tweaks. Completely changing the colour scheme, because everything is set as variables in the header, takes only a few minutes.
I think, for now, I am satisfied with the basic look. It gives me a grounding that I can build on and tweak should I need to. It also allows me to quickly roll out other sites that are text heavy. Images and pre formatted text and quote blocks are not something I have added in, nor the ability to set the homepage as a different page. Templating will have to come later.
In further developing my theme I have decided I don’t like how some of the existing WordPress functions actually work. I have also decided that I want to be able to call in my own code blocks as functions. This has led to me creating a new functions file and being able to enforce flexbox and styling onto things that previously seemed to sit outside of it.
There is a long way to go before it even has enough basic functionality to share it with people to be able to handle their blogs, and it will never be ready to give out as a general theme, but as a basis for my own work and to be able to hand out to friends to start their own sites it is getting there.
And hopefully it will encourage me to do more writing and actually keep up to the site.