Historic and Pared Down
March 15, 2013 by Nicholas
Comics are an utterly unique medium but a lot of people try to make them more like TV shows. It’s a mistake, but it got me wondering: what if comics were more like TV shows?
– Everything Marvel does would be reprints for a month if DC has a tentpole Summer event.
– Reality comics that manage to be more unrealistic than mutants in space aided by time travelling alternate reality versions of themselves who came back from the dead multiple times.
– A greater variety of genres, but at least a third of comics would just be about making comics or other comics. Probably half of these would feature a murder.
– Who performed at the half time of the Summer crossover would be more talked about than the crossover itself.
– The nagging feeling you recognise background characters from other comics but can’t think where from.
– Creators would have to step in to draw certain supporting characters to keep their appearance consistent resulting in a jarring mish mash of art.
– Wolverine drawn mid torso upwards to hide the fact he got fat but has a long contract.
– Ridiculous plot twists to stave off cancellation (oh, wait a second . . .)
– Villains of the week (hang on again . . .)